- Cultivate a deep friendship with your spouse. The emotional support they can give you is invaluable. Your kids will feel more secure when your relationship with each other is good, and it will be easier for them to accept Krishna consciousness.
- Schedule devotional activities to do together. You know the saying….pray together, stay together.
- Share Krsna consciousness with others. You will enliven others and yourselves. Start weekly bhajan or reading nights in your home, take the family out on book distribution or harinam several times a month, start an outreach program using your God given talents…..share what you have been given!
- Discuss with your spouse your spiritual realizations and the benefits you receive from your devotional activities. It will deepen your appreciation of Krsna and of your spouse as an inherently pure spiritual being.
- Thank your family members regularly for the myriad of things they do for you. It’s so easy to take them for granted. Envision how all those little efforts contribute to supporting your spiritual life.
- Become skilled in openly and honestly discussing your needs-your needs for protection, needs for understanding and your needs for affection. Unless you are a paramahamsa, sex is going to be an issue. Take guidance from other mature, spiritually strong couples. Avoiding the issues and each other will make it more difficult to connect deeply and to execute your spiritual activities together with conviction.
- Your grihastha ashram is not separate from your spiritual life—it IS your spiritual life. Srila Prabhupada told Yamuna devi, (and Yamuna devi told me) that an ashram is a factory for producing Krsna consciousness.
Reproduced with permission from vaisnavafamilyresources.org.